Murray Hill's Blog Spot

Welcome all exotic wildlife fans. With emphisis on elephants. ALL comments pro and con are welcome. Maybe with different views, we can all come to a concluion as to what will be best for the exotic animals and the human animals.

Friday, September 08, 2006

I'm directing this to the Animal Right Activists

I have been watching the counter on my blog. I see the results are doing well and I assume that many of these people are animal activists keeping track of what I feel and believe.

If you people would read the top of the page I would welcome your views on our pictures and my views. I will NOT add vulgar or abusive language but I will be more than happy to add your views and feelings.

I guess the big thing at present is El Paso and the situation with their elephant department.

I am not in El Paso and don't have direct contact with anyone their so I don't have first hand information but I do have an opinion on the situation.

I have read the "Letter to the Editor" in the El Paso Times and I think Ms. Bain has answered most of the opposing views as she is there in El Paso and seems to know the facts of this situation.

I have heard all kinds of stories that Mr. Seidon has beaten this elephant with a rasp to a sledge hammer handle to a broom stick breaking the implement. Sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

The first thing to take into consideration is that elephants are not the big lovable gentle giants they are portrayed to be by some. They are socialized animal that live by rules and regulations. In the wild they set the standard, in captivity we set the standards. There is a difference between the wild herds and the captive animals. They are entirely different animals.

I understand that the Sissy event was brought up again. Again I must emphasize I was not there and only had reports from the media and hearsay information.

That so called terrible beating that was administer to Sissy may have just saved a life. In her previous location she killed a man and got away with it. When she made attempts to repeat this action she was taken to task and lo and behold for the next year she attacked no one and fit into the herd. There is a difference between abuse and discipline as each is individual. I think that Ms. Buckley, Mr. Scott and all those that work around the elephants at TES should thank the El Paso Zoo elephant personal for her good behavior.

There are times that force MUST be used and just maybe the rules and laws of El Paso and other places concerning what is abuse and what is discipline should be rewritten.

I have not seen any rebuttal to Ms. Bain's information to the public. Instead of writing all kinds of abuse that you know nothing about without disclosing yourselves why not come out of your shells and publicly voice your concerns instead of using threats and misinformation. I invite any of you give me actual facts not what is told to you by people that profess to know. I have had 43 years of hands on contact with elephants in which no one that has been around my elephants has ever been hurt. Oh yes, with the exception of myself with a bull in musth. THERE ARE NO ELEPHANT EXPERTS. We still need much more knowledge and experience before there will be experts.

2 Comments:

  • At Monday, 11 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Murray, You make so much sense. We need you in Washington to tell it like it really is. All these so called experts haven't spent a week with elephants and call themselves experts. Looking at elephants in the wild or in Zoo or at the Circus for twenty years does not make you an expert. You need to live, care for, doctor, train your intire life to even begin to start to understand the needs of elephants. None of these elephant experts has done any of these things. Yet the government believes these people and make the rules to suit them. We need real people who know what they are talking about to make the rules. There would be fewer lives lost like "SUE" and JOANNA". Fewer people like carol buckley and scott balis telling lies and causeing deaths that could have been prevented. These people need to have to account for their actions.

     
  • At Sunday, 05 April, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I worked for Murray for several years. I started working with elephants in 1969 with Buckels Woodcock. As far as I am concerned any comment that Murray and/or Buckles make is about as accurate as it gets. Those two individuals are as close as it gets to experts. Iused what these two individuals passed on to me, to work with elephants from 69 to 81 I was only injuried once (my fault) NO ONE WAS EVER INJURIED BY ANY ELEPHANT THAT I HAD WORKED WITH, this was because of the traing they gave me. edwardnewburn@yahoo.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home