Murray Hill's Blog Spot

Welcome all exotic wildlife fans. With emphisis on elephants. ALL comments pro and con are welcome. Maybe with different views, we can all come to a concluion as to what will be best for the exotic animals and the human animals.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

USDA Seeking Comments

On August 8, 2006 the USDA "USDA SEEKS COMMENTS ON CAPTIVE ELEPHANTS’ SPACE AND LIVING CONDITIONS" I have responded to the USDA's request for comments and here is what I had to say:
August 10, 2006
To Whom It May Concern:
With over 43 years of experience with elephants ranging from infant bottle babies to full grown bulls I have a wealth of knowledge from the school of hard knocks and am willing to share this information to help preserve the species.
Below please find my responses to the questions listed for your survey.
I find the last two questions are to complicated to answer in a short amount of space with the computer. I would however like to elaborate further on these topics.
I would appreciate a personal visit to discuss these matters.

Sincerely,
Murray Hill

* What are the causes of arthritis in elephants?
I am sure that there are causes contributing to arthritis that we still don't know about. The ones we do know about at the present time are being on concrete. Putting a softer surface over the concrete helps considerably. I have tried dirt, that didn't work for me as it meant changing the dirt continuously and either replacing it with fresher dirt or cleansing the existing dirt. I have been using wood, preferably oak, as there is enough give under the weight of the animal and still a solid floor.

For transportation (circus elephants), the air bags can be adjusted so that there isn't much shock going over rough road.

I have been in both situations, still operations and over the road and found this to be the best as none of my elephants developed arthritis. I'm sure there are other factors as there are in humans.

Q: What, if any, foot care practices have been used on captive elephants to maintain healthy feet?
A:
The trimming of the pads, cutting of the nails and rasping the nails, In many cases I have seen that the pads are cut too far back and I have only cut pads when they would grow out the sides. If the bottom of the pad is smooth, even if there is crevasses other than clean the crevasses to make sure there isn't foreign matter in it I have found they work it down to where it should be if they are on a solid surface. The cutting of the nail should be even with the bottom of the pad. I have seen too many cases where the nail was cut to short and it bled making it vulnerable to infection. The rasping of the nail does nothing but open the nail to infection. It takes the protective covering off the soft areas of the nail; it also opens a greater possibility to splitting the nail. That's a whole different situation.

Q: What floors are best for captive elephants? Are there any flooring conditions that promote foot problems?
A: Concrete is the worst situation for elephants, in fact for any animal including humans. I know that there are new materials that I am told of that does the job but I have found that a good oak hardwood has kept my elephants in good shape. It has to be replaced from time to time but I have found it excellent. Soft wood (pines, etc.) would have to be replaced more often and would be more susceptible to bacteria.

Q: Do captive elephants require a certain amount of exercise (i.e. walking) to maintain healthy feet?
A: They should have a minimum of walking daily. I have found that it is up to individual if it is in an uncontrolled situation (in a small pen). In open area I find that they walk as much as they want to. In a performing situation, that in itself is more than enough exercise.

Q: What industry / professional standards are available for elephant care and husbandry?
Q: Are there any other health or care issues related to elephants that should be specifically addressed to the AWA standards?

2 Comments:

  • At Friday, 11 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice Murray. I do hope this was in enough plan english for these people to understand. I just can not get over that these people have the final say about how we care for our animals when they have no experience what so ever. Just the words from animal rights groups who cause more problems then they are worth. New facts are coming to light after that horriable death in TENN that caused the death of a young lady that was completely avoidable. The USDA should hang their heads in shame. They have had their heads up their ass long enough. Have you read #1471 on the Circus Historical Society web page?

     
  • At Friday, 08 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wanted to comment on that 1471 message Rebecca mentioned, only to say in Doc Henderson's book (is it just called "Circus Doctor"?) he told of a fire where a line of elephants, on a single command from Walter McLain, each pulled up their stake, picked up their chain, and walked when he told them to, even while other species of animals were running in panic.

    I don't know why tales about elephants falsely believing they have no choice are so popular -- and I don't know what any of the living great trainers would say -- but this concept seems to be all the rage.

    That is, teenagers in chat rooms seem to love telling people elephants can be held by a thread because once in their childhood they couldn't escape.

    I couldn't get on that message board to answer whoever was asking, just noticed that lots of people ask the same question.
    First Time Visitor Here,
    Lotliza

     

Post a Comment

<< Home